Community Service at BVW
Community Service at BVW
At BVW we are fortunate to have students who have a heart for giving back to their communities through volunteer service. From giving time to support a charitable cause to volunteering with local organizations, our students are focusing on their personal growth in addition to their academic success.
In an effort to recognize all of the outstanding volunteer service of our students, Blue Valley Schools has revised the volunteer service guidelines and reporting mechanism to align with the Presidential Volunteer Service Awards (PVSA) program. Blue Valley's guidelines for volunteer service will match guidelines promoted by the PVSA.
- Awards will be issued for volunteer service only, not charitable donations.
- Students cannot receive payment of any kind for their volunteer service.
- Volunteer service cannot be court ordered.
- Awards will be issued for volunteer service hours served within a 12-month period and over the course of a lifetime. Blue Valley's volunteer service period runs April 1-March 31.
250 hours and above
4,000 hours and above
Students will log their hours online through the PVSA's website, www.presidentialserviceawards.gov, and will be given opportunities to register and begin recording volunteer service hours at school. Schools will serve as the certifying organization, which means the Volunteer Service Coordinator at each school will go online to validate and approve each student's volunteer service entries. Volunteer service hours will no longer be included on student transcripts beginning with the 2015-16 school year, as volunteer service is not part of the district's graduation requirements.
The volunteer service changes are effective for the reporting period that runs April 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016. If you have any questions regarding volunteer service hours guidelines and reporting, please contact Bryan Brutto.
Thank you for supporting our students who have a heart for volunteer service.
First Step - Register
- Log on to the website www.presidentialserviceawards.gov/volunteer
- Click Register (blue button) or the Get started now and register with PVSA now link
- Complete the form to register as a volunteer. Select at least one focus area before submitting the application
- Click My Profile to complete the registration
- Select Add Record of Service
- Enter Blue Valley West's code VGH-31161 and save
YOU MUST ENTER THIS CODE to be recognized for awards. The code is very important because it identifies you as a student at West.
Second Step - Record
- Sign in to the website: http://www.presidentialserviceawards.gov by entering your email address and password
- Click on the My Service link
- Select Add Activity.
- Enter the service activity, benefiting organization name, the specific area of service, date of service and hours of service
- Click Save or Save & New to log additional volunteer service hours
- The reporting period is April 1 -March 31 to be considered for a presidential award each Spring
- Log out
- Pull weeds in the Oestricher Forum
- Organize a fundraising tournament
- Canned food drive
- Make cards for patients at Children's Hospital, Senior Citizen Centers, or Meals on Wheels programs
- Pick up trash in a public area - West, parks, creeks, etc.
Participate in the after school recycling program at West - Sign Up Here
- Collect old keys and/or pop tabs for Ronald McDonald house
- Operation Breakthrough-provides program and daycare for infants through age 18, average income for families is $9,400 -contact for availability
- Ronald McDonald House-provides home away from home while children are receiving medical care in the Kansas City area-prepare meals, bake cookies, garden
- Kids TLC-provides emergency shelter for infants through age 18 -help at events
- Wayside Waifs-animal shelter -clean kennels, pick up and distribute blankets and toys, feed and water animals, take animals out for potty breaks
- Salvation Army-help with holiday dinners
- Harvesters-sort food, assist with special event