Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, September 13, 2013
Celebrating 10 years...
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Present,
Looking to the Future
Thank you to everyone who has volunteered to help out in the classroom this year, both with students and with clerical work. We are very blessed to have such support! There are still some openings if you would like to volunteer for a specific duty. At this time, we still do not have a room parent. We would also love to have a parent come in every 3-4 weeks to run our Buy Day. Please email me if you would be interested in either of these opportunities. Thank you!
On Monday, your child will bring home another homework packet that includes math practice. The reading portion will be done entirely online this week. The students will go into our Weekly Homework assignment in Edmodo, open the reading homework link, and respond to the questions listed by clicking "turn in." They will also have the U1W4 spelling list attached to their pre-test. The spelling post-test will be on Friday, and all other homework will be due back the following Monday, Sept. 23.
Progress reports will be sent home on Friday, September 20th. Please review it and return the comments section by Friday, September 27th.
Here is our last MAP testing date:
· Math: 9/17 at 2:15pm
We now have the much anticipated information on how we plan to utilize Edmodo for parent communication. I have attached an informational note to this newsletter, the School Messenger e-mail, and in the Newsletters Folder on Edmodo.
Be sure to check our calendar for important dates.
Thank you for checking the Nut Safer List located on the CHE website under "Forms and Documents" for snacks in the classroom. We want our classroom to be a safe place for everyone!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Our strings days are Mondays and Thursdays. Please help your child remember to bring his/her instrument on those days.
Sumdog is back again this year!
Students will have the opportunity to play math games on this free website, as well as participate in BV District sponsored Sumdog contests throughout the year. In the meantime, Sumdog is a great website your child can play at school and at home. As your child answers math facts, it self-levels based on their accuracy and speed, so don't answer the problems for them. A great feature is signing up as an adult to gain feedback on your child's weekly progress! Bookmark Sumdog on your computers for your child: http://www.sumdog.com
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts):
Reading: Life Stories
- sequence events.
- identify and explain metaphors.
- use knowledge of adjective suffixes to read and understand unfamiliar words in and out of context.
Writing: Setting Up Writer's Workshop
- identify and produce different kinds of complete sentences (declarative, interrogative, exclamatory, & imperative).
- understand what Writer's Workshop should look like and sound like.
- "turn and talk" during Writer's Workshop.
Math: Generate and Analyze Patterns
- identify and extend repeating geometric or repeating number patterns.
- identify and extend whole-number patterns involving addition and subtraction.
- extend tables of ordered pairs for situations involving multipliction, addition, or subtraction.
- find a rule and extend the table, given a table of number pairs.
- extend patterns of cubes or tiles.
- use the strategies Act It Out and Use Reasoning to solve problems.
Social Studies: Native Americans
- identify examples of cultural adaptations made by Native American tribes.
- describe some of the natural environments that Native Americans encountered in North America.
- identify selected environmental factors that promoted cultural diversity among Native American groups.
This Week's Homework will come home on Monday, Sept. 16th and is due on Monday, Sept. 23th.
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Practice Book Review Lessons 1-9 & 1-10
- Read 20+ minutes per night
- Online Assignment - Make Inferences Reading Passage and Edmodo reply
- Unit 1 Week 4 Spelling List (Post-test Friday)
- No Study Island this week.
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - Day 1: Spanish/PE
Tuesday - Day 2: Music
Wednesday - Day 3: Art
Thursday - Day 4: Computers
Friday - Day 5: Spanish/PE
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order on the 15th of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!