Auvigne's 4th Grade Update
Friday, January 18, 2013
Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow,
Cheetah Champions Forever...
Saturday, January 19 the sign up window opens for February Parent-Teacher Conferences (the last day to sign up is Saturday, February 2). We will once again use the electronic sign up procedure from my web page. The process is quick and easy to use. I will be available on February 7, 11, 12, and 14th to meet with parents. Conferences are in 30 minute time slots.
The electronic Parent-Teacher Conference sign upprocess is quick and easy - simply follow these steps: 1) Go to my web site under "Classrooms" on the Cedar Hills' webpage 2) Click Parent-Teacher Conferences (on the left side navigation bar) 3) Click Register for this event button and follow the directions.
Did you know that February is heart month? Our annual Jump Rope for Heart week is coming up soon! This is a great way to show our friends and community that we care about having healthy hears and saving lives. Donation envelopes have been sent home - you can send cash or check back in the envelope or create a web page online to send emails out to family and friends ( www.heart.org/jump ). Your child will receive thank you gifts for the money raised. With your help, we hope to raise $3,000 this year to give to the American Heart Association. Visit www.bluevalleyk12.org/CHE/armiller for more info.
All Fourth and Fifth grade teachers are now using an on-line grade book through Blue Valley's Student Information System which gives you access to viewing your student's progress throughout the quarter. In addition to reviewing quarter grades, you will be able to view your child's grades on individual assessments, assignments, and projects via ParentVUE. This is the same online tool where you add money to lunch accounts and/or pay fees for the school year. Grades will be updated every 3 weeks. Attached are two handouts which include directions for logging on to ParentVue and on how you can view grades in the grade book screen.
There will be no school on Monday, January 21 as we observe Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
Tuesday, January 22nd is PTO Eat N Earn night at Salty Iguana.
Our next early release day is Tuesday, January 29th.
Be sure to check out our upcoming events on the classroom calendar.
Enjoy the three day weekend!
Study Den, the after school study club, is offered on Mondays and Thursdays. This is an opportunity for students to receive assistance on school work, prepare for tests, or work on Study Island.
Our strings days and times are Mondays at 2:50 PM and on Wednesdays at 11:20 AM. If your child is involved in this program, they will not be missing out on instructional time :)
Next Week's Learning Targets
The Student will learn to:
ELA (English Language Arts): Unit 3: A Nation's Beginning
- make generalizations by using text evidence and drawing inferences from the text.
- demonstrate understanding of connotation and denotation in word meanings.
- use context as a clue to the meaning of a word or phrase.
- paraphrase and summarize by using his/her own words to tell the most important details and events from a story.
- use knowledge of homophones to determine or clarify the meaning of unknown words.
- use knowledge of prefixes that tell when to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- use knowledge of inflected endings -s and -es to read accurately unfamiliar words in context and out of context.
- use and understand reference materials, encyclopedias, almanacs, and an atlas.
- follow agreed-upon rules for discussions and carry our assigned role during inquiry.
Math: Products and Factors
- use arrays and repeated addition and subtraction to represent and solve multiplication and division problems.
- identify factors and multiples of any number 1-100.
- state the rule of a function table.
- find the missing value of a function table.
- find the rule and solve real-world problems with function.
- solves one- and two-step real-world problems using multiplication and division.
Products and Factors Assessment Wednesday, January 22nd.
Math: Plane Figures
- recognize, identify, and describe plane figures and their properties.
- recognize similar and congruent figures.
- identify plane figures used to form a composite figure.
- determine if geometric shapes and real-world object contain lines symmetry and draw the lines of symmetry.
- recognize, perform and describe a transformation (reflection/flip, rotation/turn, translation/slide).
Science: Magnets and electricity
- understand and show that all magnets have poles.
- understand and show that like poles of magnets repel and unlike poles attract.
- understand and show that magnets can attract things through solids, liquids, or gases.
This week's homework is due on Friday, January 25th.
- Math Practice #17
- Practice Math Facts 5 minutes per night
- Ice Can Scream
- Read 20 minutes per night
- Unit 4 Week 4 Spelling List
- Science - Magnetism & Electricity
- Math - Multiplication & Division Models
Next Week's Special's Schedule
Monday - No School
Tuesday - Day 4: Spanish/Music
Wednesday - Day 5: Pe/Spanish
Thursday - Day 1: PE/Music
Friday - Day 2: Computers
Monthly Book Orders
I will send Scholastic Book Club flyers home each month. If you would like to order books, you can do so one of the following two ways:
- send the order form back in with a check
- click the link below to order online with our class code - FZPKM
I will close out each order at the end of each month and the books should arrive about a week later. Thank you!