We are very excited to provide a transdisciplinary, play-based, developmentally appropriate preschool experience for ALL children! We believe that children are more alike than they are different and we celebrate and program for each individual child's personal growth in all developmental areas. We serve children from ages 3-5 who attend 4 days per week. Half of the children are Preschool Peers who serve as role models in all developmental areas. Half of the children are served on Individual Education Programs.
We believe play is a child's work in the early childhood years and that they learn best through hands-on experiences lead by a team of professionals including; an Early Childhood/Early Childhood Special Education Teacher, 2-3 Paraeducators, an Occupational Therapist, a Speech-Language Pathologist, a Physical Therapist/Assistant, and additional team members at times such as a Teacher of the Deaf/Hard of Hearing and a Teacher of the Visually Impaired.
This year, we are introducing a district-wide Houghton-Mifflin curriculum that integrates an intensive literacy based foundation providing a seamless bridge into our district Kindergarten curriculum through ten themed units.
The Kindergarten program at Leawood Elementary
• provides experiences that foster growth of large and small muscles; establishes workable relationships with people; • provides exploration of the outdoors;
• leads to enjoyment of music, art, literature, and science;
• provides for acceptance of responsibility; • allows children to express themselves creatively;
• exposes them to the areas of reading, writing, mathematics;
• develops independent workers and problems solvers;
• fosters ability to express ideas;
• be thoughtful of other and gain confidence in themselves. All of this is done in a warm, caring and secure environment where each day is a new and wonderful experience for our children.
Lunch hour is 11:45-12:15
Websites to visit: